I’ll be 100% honest: The Kansas City Royals haven’t been on my radar since the 80s (yes, I am that young – wink); Backtrack to 2014, when suddenly they were in the World Series. My closet was full of royal blue (one of my favorite colors to wear) but nothing that was “game-wear” approved because let’s face it – it’s a concrete stadium with plastic chairs for one reason: easy cleanup. It’s an amazing place to be and the excitement in the crowd is worth experiencing; having beer spilt on you, stepping in vomit and sweating to death (or getting rained on) isn’t as glamorous or awesome. Instead of wearing uni-sex t-shirts (do you follow me on twitter and Instagram? I post great tips and tricks there all the time!) I opt for accessories – hats, scarves, cross-body bags (they have to meet stadium requirements,) and sometimes a really fabulous pair of earrings to support my favorite MLB team in style.
Today’s home opener for the Kansas City Royals was humid and cloudy, at times a bit damp with drizzle. Perfect for a black maxi dress and well – not so perfect for a white jacket, but who cares?! – and a hat to hide the humidity-induced frizz.
5 Tips for Supporting Your MLB Team in Style
- Jewelry – I always recommend jewelry; jewelry is never over the top and can be worn out-of-season as well!
- Hats – shields your eyes from the sun (we should all be protecting our precious eyeballs from harmful rays), and can hide your worst bad-hair-day hair.
- Scarves – tie it on your handbag (or crossbody), wrap it around your wrist or tie it in your hair for a simple pop of color to show your support anywhere you go (even at the office.)
- Handbags – (or in the case of sporting games, a small crossbody) – because a girl can never have too many handbags
- Boyfriend t-shirts – with basic sewing knowledge and a good pair of scissors you can re-purpose almost anything – the possibilities are endless
I always tread carefully when buying licensed MLB gear – most of what you are paying for is the license, not the quality of the gear. I’ve found a few great deals, that when combines with sales, coupons and rewards are not only affordable, but still a decent quality. Check out local discount retailers like Old Navy or Kohls for discounted items (and remember to keep an eye out for great clearance deals at the end of any MLB season!)
Looking for a quality black dress to get you through spring and summer (and even fall?!) Shopbop is having a 25% off Family and Friends sale April 7 through April 10th (use code SPRING25). A few good dresses worth trying: this Soft Joie Wilcox dress, this Norma Kamali Maxi dress, or this super-affordable Splendid Maxi dress. Definitely a good time to score quality clothing with a great discount!
Looking for more tips and trends? Zales and Cosmopolitan come together to help: