I remember being invited to a shopping night for a little boutique in Corbin Park a few years ago (was it only last year?!) and so I picked out cute boho chic summer top, paired it with Madewell flares, strapped on some wedge espadrilles and headed out the door.
You know when someone looks you up and down while offering a non-compliment (which basically sounds like the resounding hammer of a gavel on wood, declaring the final judgement)? Like, I don’t know, maybe, “wow, you really dressed the part!” or “wow, you’re really looking boho chic tonight!” Well, don’t worry ladies, I won’t make that mistake again. I thought about my outfit and it was definitely more costume than anything else. Yikes! I love the individual pieces, but worn all together I looked ready for Woodstock lol!
Well, I’ve learned from my mistakes and I have 5 easy tips to help you figure out what I’ve had to learn the hard way!
5 tips for how to style a boho chic outfit, in style 2016
without looking like a hippie (or like you smoke pot!)
- The first and simplest tip: accessories, accessories, accessories. Boho chic accessories include fringe jewelry, tassel earrings, feathers, braided leather and ropes, and more. Anything made of natural fibers, woven tribal prints – think earthy. Boho chic style sometimes walks the fine line between bohemian and western chic.
- Second tip: Boho chic shoes include fringe detail on flat sandals, booties, and pump heeled sandals like these Chinese Laundry Suede Fringe shoe, found here (they were 50% off when I was in last week at FJ Boutique in Lee’s Summit!) Look for tassels to really elevate your style (or date night!)
- Third tip: Boho chic layering pieces – a tribal print weave on a denim jacket or a fringe-y scarf (the fringe doesn’t have to be obvious) See tip 1.
- Fourth Tip: Boho chic handbags – if you love getting a new bag each season, each year, every few years, knockoffs (I’m not judging) then this a perfect way to add a fun leather bag to your arsenal. I love this black suede leather crossbody bag, also from FJ Boutique. See tip 1.
- Fifth Tip: Boho chic beauty/hair – if you are going to wear a bouffant, keep your outfit chic and modern – unless of course you are pin-up girl trapped in the wrong decade (century?!) Then you rock it girl, you make those dreams come true.
shoes (shop them here)
All items from this post can be found in store at FJ Boutique and online below:
FJ Boutique: maxi tank dress // suede fringe belt //clutch //wide leather belt // suede fringe sandals //tribal weave jean jacket
A special thanks to another incredible PPP sponsor, FJ Boutique for sponsoring today’s content!