I’m talking the denim on denim trend, perfect for Spring and five simple tips for mastering it.
I’ve seen the occasional photo pop-up in my Pinterest feed – a perfectly put-together woman, chic-ly (let’s pretend that’s a real word, mkay?) long legs gracefully crossing the street (or the enviable thigh gap – my thighs have a very close relationship; they can’t seem to let each other go.) <haha> What is being noted about this picture? The denim top and the denim, um, jeans, aka denim on denim; otherwise known as the Canadian Tuxedo, something Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears decided to wear together as a couple (please don’t be like them, not even in 1998.)
I’m on the fence with the denim on denim trend (though timeless in a bohemian way.) I would never wear this outfit without the cardigan or a blazer. Never. I think it takes the right mix and lots of confidence to pull off a denim on denim look. This is one of those outfits I put together before realizing that it is all. one. brand. oops. For more inspiration, be sure to check out my DENIM on DENIM Pinterest Board!
Madewell Skinny Skinny Jeans // Madewell Denim Button Down (these three from Madewell are good substitutes 1 / 2 / 3) // Madewell Cardigan // Madewell Dawngold Cuff // H&M Leopard Slip-ons (similar, or ked style here // H&M Gold Vegan Leather Hat (similar here or here) // Madewell Leather Belt
I am in love with this wide cuff bracelet from Madewell (sold out online, so check your nearest stores.) It’s been on constant rotation; I no longer bother to put it in the drawer when I take off my accessories at night – it has a spot right on top of the dresser!
5 Tips for Denim on Denim
- Break up the look with a pop of rich color. A red belt, a deep cognac tote, yellow shoes, a polka dot scarf – just to name a few.
- Don’t wear the same rinse/wash. There should be variations, in shading or rinse (dark or light).
- Dark on bottom, light(er) on top. This isn’t a hard rule, but a darker pant will be more thinning!
- Proportion. Always a number one rule. If the pants are skinny (tight) then match it with a looser top. If the pants are wide leg, be sure to wear a well-tailored top that will give you just enough structure (think princess seams to pull in the waist) to flatter your curves.
- This trend pairs well with golds, cognacs, blacks, and bright primary colors like red and yellow.
Looking for a winter denim-on-denim look? Check out my wear it now // wear it later post!